Sunday, July 08, 2018

July 8th - Catlle point (#48)

I went out for an evening SUP paddle to Cattle point and back. It was a gorgeous calm sunny evening with very few people on the water. I could see both Mt. Rainier and Mt Baker in the distance. Along the shore there were several large schools of tiny (one to three inches long)baitfish. One school was rippling the surface for 50 m and about 5 m across! I can't imagine how many thousand fish were in that school. There is a nice big sailing yacht moored in the bay - Tristan from Newport Beach, CA.
I saw a couple of black oystercatchers, a single marbled murrelet, a single great blue heron (if I ignore the ones across the street!) and a bunch of Canada geese. It was a nice change to go a bit slower (the SUP seems to cruise comfortably at about 4.5 kph, compared to 6.5 for a sea kayak and over 7.5 for the surf ski)
click to enlarge
5 km, YTD 375 km

No comments: