Saturday, December 29, 2012

December 29th - Discovery Island, the Wolf and 1000 km (87)

I paddled out to Cadboro Point to join Olivier for a morning paddle out to the islands. As it tuned out it was an auspicious paddle for me - I made my 1000 km goal for the year and I saw the wolf on Discovery Island!
Olivier had seen the wolf quite close up on the 27th, so we kept an eye out as we paddled the shores of Chatham and Discovery Islands. It was raining off and on and a bit cool, though not too much wind. The current was ebbing, but not very strongly. About half way across Rudlin Bay, I spotted an object moving out on Commodore Point, which quickly turned out to be the wolf that has been on the islands for many months now (Vancouver Sun Article). The wolf more or less stayed close to us, giving us great views, all around Commodore point for almost a kilometre of paddling! (see track segment below)
Wolf watching segment by Commodore point (click to enlarge)
Olivier managed to get some great shots of the wolf, including one with me in the foreground!
the wolf and me (click to enlarge)
Wolf on the west side of the point (click to enlarge)
Wolf on the west side again (click to enlarge)
today's track (click to enlarge)
18 km, YTD 1001 km.

No comments: