Saturday, February 05, 2011

Feb 5th - Chatham Island (#9)

I paddled out to Cadboro Point where I joined Yves, Patti, Christian, Michel, Thomas and James for a paddle in Baynes Channel and over to Chatham. We were hoping for some waves, but there was just a steady current with a few small waves in Baynes. We then made our way over to "the sluice" where George joined us and we had fun surfing the rock and eddying in and out of the current. After playing for a while, Christian, George, Thomas and I set off for a paddle around Chatham. We had our eyes out for birds and Thomas had a great set of binos with him so we put together a pretty nice list (pelagic, brandt's and double-crested cormorants, belted kingfisher, harlequin, black scoter, bufflehead, hooded merganser, common megranser, canada goose, white-winged teal, american wigeon, dunlin, black turnstone, oystercatcher, bald eagle, great blue heron - I am sure I missed a couple)

14 km, YTD 122 KM

No comments: