Saturday, January 04, 2014

January 3rd - Glencoe Cove (#3)

I led a SISKA paddle from Cadboro Bay to Glencoe Cove. There were 18 of us in all and we had good conditions. There was a reasonably strong ebb around ten mile and Cadboro points that slowed us down , but made for a good "energizer" paddle. Winds were a little stronger than originally forecast - 5 to 10 knots instead of 0 to 5 - but nothing untoward. Glencoe cove was a perfect spot to lunch at since it faced south to the sun and was in the lee of the wind. I was able to share some background of some of the local place names like Glencoe, Finnerty, ten mile, Cadboro, Staines etc with the group. I had gleaned the info from the wonderful raincoast place names book by Andrew Scott. I continued to test the heart rate monitor, but I seem to have had some trouble getting it to connect properly (and then I think I forgot to unpause it after lunch!) - the jury is still out on the device! On our way back I stopped to check my crab traps. There was one nice big red rock crab in one of the traps. When I reached the beach I ran into a past student of mine, Fraser, and we had a good chat.
click to enlarge
16 km, YTD 46 km.

No comments: