Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 18 - Day 4 kayak building and Nehalem river (#16)

Another good day of kayak building. Today was mostly spent tidying up loose ends, fairing off various edges, drilling holes for the deck lines and oiling the frame. Tomorrow should be a long day of “skinning” the kayaks.


We were finished a bit early and I took one of Brian’s West Greenland boats for a test drive in the North Fork Nehalem River. I went the opposite way to yesterday. It was a comfortable ride and the kayak seemed fast. I did not try rolling it yet as I was not sure of the cockpit seal etc. I paddled with my drysuit and an akuilisaq which worked quite nicely.


ScreenShot088


IMGP0512 end of day 4


BTW, as you can see from the photos, it is not warm here in March! Today was also the first dry day!


More photos posted on picasaweb at: http://picasaweb.google.com/mhjackson123/20090318_oregon#


10 km, 6 NM, YTD 160 km

No comments: