Saturday, October 24, 2015

October 24th - "VK" Fulford reef (#100)

I went for a late morning paddle to make my 100th paddle of the year! I paddled out to the VK marker by Fulford Reef. All the buoys around this area are labeled V-something. for example the one by Mouat reef is VE, and the one near the border by Race Rocks is VF. They are often referred to by their radiotelphony alphabet names like Victor-Foxtrot for VF and Victor-Kilo for VK etc. When I was volunteering for sea rescue, this is how we referred to the markers over the radio. This was the first paddle of the year that really seemed like fall. Many of the trees have turned along the shores of Cadboro Bay and it was fairly cool (10C with a 15 kph north wind). I saw surf scoters, seals, cormorants (pelagic and double-crested), harlequin ducks, Canada geese and a couple of great blue herons. I came home and had a nice bowl of soup to warm up followed by a delicious espresso coffee with milk!
click to enlarge
10 km, YTD 831 km

No comments: