Wednesday, August 16, 2017

August 16th - Discovery Island (#62)

George and I went for a morning paddle around my favourite local islands, and we were in for a treat. The weather and currents were good, though there was some lumpy water in Batnes Channel. As we approached the NE corner of Chatham Island I thought I could see several whale spouts - by their size, and since they were behind a rocky point, I thought they were humpbacks, but as I got closer it turned out they were a pod of orcas hunting along the shore. I am pretty sure that they were playing with a seal, but did not get a close/clear enough look! What a treat to see orcas - some came pretty close to us! We fought a bit of wind and current across Rudlin Bay, but otherwise had favourable currents.
click to enlarge
15 km, YTD 543 km

No comments: