Monday, August 09, 2010

August 4-8 Oyama (#s61-69)

I've been in Oyama now for a few days and have managed to get out paddling once or twice a day. The water is nice and warm, about 24 C, and it is nice to paddle in freshwater without cold water immersion gear! I have mostly been paddling the Tahe Greenland, though I have also taken out the Feathercraft Wisper and the OK Trident 13. The Trident 13 is definitely slower than the other sea kayaks, but is not too bad. I was able to cruise it at 5 or 6 kph and it also sailed quite nicely with the large Spirit sail. I hope to take it fishing in Oyama lake soon...

I have been practicing plenty of rolls in the Tahe including:
static brace
body brace
butterfly roll
standard Greenland roll
norsaq roll
hand roll
shotgun roll
crook of arm roll
chest scull
back scull
reverse sweep roll (forward finishing)
All of these seem to work well on both sides - I would like to figure out the storm roll but don't yet have the movements figured out...
I went for a longer paddle in the wisper and it was fun to feel the waves on the hull. It also moves along well.
On Sunday evening I took the Trident 13 to go fishing in Oyama Lake. It was a beautiful evening and though I hooked a couple of good ones, I only brought a shaker to the boat. It was a very enjoyable first fishing outing in the SOT. It is not as ideal a fishing vessel as the watermaster raft, but it is a kayak! I need to play around a bit with rod holders and leashes etc but the set up seemed to work well.
While paddling this week, I have seen a good collection of birds: osprey, bald eagle, great blue heron, kildeer, an unidentified sandpiper, red-winged blackbird, common loon, common merganser, a couple of grebes, mallard, cowbird, gray jay.
To date 50 km, 23NM, YTD 721 km
track images:
 Oyama lake - Aug 8th
Kalamalka and Wood lakes August 7

Kalamalka lake August 4, 5 and 6

No comments: