Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 23rd - Seymour Narrows (#25)

Alan and I went for a "run with the tides" paddle down Discovery Passage. WE woke up to a couple of inches of snow and then made our way to launch our kayaks across from Cape Mudge. We then paddled out into the tidal stream and then rode the ebb all the way to Brown's Bay where we stopped for lunch and the tide to turn. We caught the flood back to our launch site and then I made my way to the Quadra ferry so as to go over to Discovery Islands Lodge for the weekend. If you look at the track plots you will see one using my normal speed scale - most of the trip is over the usual max 10 kph! The second plot is scaled from 10 to 20 kph. Our moving average for the day's paddle was around 11 kph! It was great to cover so much ground so easily! And thanks to Alan for hosting me and planning the paddle times so perfectly!
click to enlarge - normal 0-10 skphcale

Click to enlarge - 10-20 kph scale!
48 km, YTD 297 km

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no killer whirlpools?

Mike J said...

Nope - I think we timed things right. There were whirlpools but not very big and easy to avoid...

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,thank you for your journal.
I have a folding kayak and tried to paddle upstream into Discovery Channel.But the current was too strong.
After one night under the tent at Maud Island, I decided to return towards Campbell River, the whirlpools were TERRIFIC and frightining,this was maybe the worst moment of my life.It is not a recommended place for beginners paddlers.

Mike J said...

It is all about timing the currents right. We planned our trip to go with the current both ways and be around the narrows at slack tide. Definitely not a place for beginners.