Tuesday, May 12, 2020

May 12th - Discovery island (#39)

I paddled out to Cadboro Point to join up with Paulo and Dan for an early morning (started at 0715)  trip around Chatham and Discovery. On my way out I met Greg who was out getting some early morning exercise on his surf ski and we paddled together for a while. We had a nice paddle and chat in very calm conditions. By the time we were crossing back across Baynes, the current had picked up and I had to work to ferry my way over to Jemmy Jones. Before I made it to Jemmy Jones, I heard a blow behind me and saw a small humpback whale making its way up against the current. I decided to paddle parallel to it for a while as you can see by the dog-leg in my track. I ended up at Cadboro Point after seeing half a dozen blows from this young whale. Now I can say that, over the years, I have seen sea otters, killer whales, gray whales and humpback whales in my kayaking "back yard"! I also got to chat with John, a past parent of three students I taught, who was out gardening.
click to enlarge
17 km, YTD 279 km

No comments: