Monday, March 01, 2021

March 1st - Discovery Island (#23)

Dan and I paddled out of Killarney to meet Paulo at Cadboro Point for a paddle around the islands. The winds were pretty calm throughout but there was a strong ebb as evidenced by the track speeds crossing Baynes and on the SE side of Discovery. Paddling back across Baynes was hard work but we made it without falling below Jemmy Jones! Good birding today with a lot of surf scoters and more red-breasted mergansers than I normally see/notice: https://ebird.org/canada/checklist/S82590200 There were a good number of Steller's sea lions on the two rocks off Seabird Point. On our way back, Dan and I checked my crab trap. Unfortunately there was just one legal red rock crab which I threw back.

click to enlarge
16 km, YTD 207 km


No comments: